On Wed, 2004-06-02 at 21:02, Todd Mueller wrote:
> The problem I had with the vortex (II - I forgot to mention) is that the
> driver would usually crash the machine for some odd reason. I'm running on
> the 2.4 kernel, though.

Interesting, with both the old binary OSS driver and the new reverse
engineered ALSA one I've never ever had a crash or hang. Not even with
the earliest ALSA ones, though I didn't get sound. Heh. If you still
have it, the project is somewhat suffering from lack of testers.
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/openvortex

My vortex2 continues to serve me well since I bought it in '99. Awesome
technology and quality engineering, killed off by Creative plowing
Aureal under with bullshit lawsuits until they ran out of money. Classic
strongarm tactics. R.I.P., Aureal. Sadly, the success of the reverse
engineering effort comes a bit too late. I feel the evolution of PC
audio technology has been stunted for another decade. ;P