On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 11:13, Johnny Fulcrum wrote:
> anybody have a super cool formula for figuring out the specs a linux box
> should have for certain jobs?
>
> The recent "pop3 server recommendations thread" got me to thinking - if I
> were to build a box that would be a email server for a group of 20 folks -
> I probably would not drop by Walmart on my way into work and pick up a
> $200 special...

For a group of 20, anything you could possibly buy new these days is
likely way more than enough. You'd only need better of you get into the
range of maybe tens of thousands of users, or a really really big
database...

The real issue is reliability. A reasonable quality $600-$1000 desktop
is probably fine for most small business. Backup to tape or a second
hard drive. If you keep parts handy it should only require an hour or
two to swap a fried disk, power supply, or motherboard... A $200 Walmart
special is questionable, in that price range the motherboards tend to be
rather low quality, as well as the power supplies...

Its only when your customer needs absolute 100% uptime that you need to
get into hotswappable RAID, hotswappable redundant power supplies...