Just did a few of these last night at an installfest for an online class I
am teaching.  This is a BRIEF overview.

Install XP first (I am sure you know this already).  Partition Manually ..
or use a tool to do it later after XP is all installed.  Could use "parted"
before starting with XP.  Parted would let you create the partitions .. then
maybe XP would create/format to NTFS when it starts.  Parted comes on the
RH9 cds ... not sure about other installs ... and you can boot to the RH9
and go into a rescue mode that lets you use parted to partition the drive.

XP Pro is NTFS.  If you want to use a Linux tool to repartition the drive
use ntfsresize - can also be found as part of a bootable cd (SystemRescueCD
http://www.sysresccd.org/ ). No one tried this last night, but I downloaded
it and burnt a CD from the ISO ... my laptop did boot from the System Rescue
CD.  The rescue CD has ntfsresize on it.  parted will not work on NTFS (if I
read correctly).

After you have resized the partition, or created one initially, you are
pretty much ready to go with a normal install.  The install is pretty
straight forward after that.  Use the partition tool as you install to
create /boot and /swap and / ... usually the install is fairly clear on
this.

Then ... pick the packages to install and let it go.

Hope this generic guidance helps.  The key is to get two partitions made
before starting the install, or to use a tool to partition the NTFS drive
(XP) after the fact.

Randy