On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 18:19, Ian Stoner wrote:
> Is there any consensus on what filesystem is best to use on laptops?  Is
> the benefit of journaling worth the cost in battery life?  How much
> battery life does journaling actually cost?

Use laptop mode, I made a post earlier.

http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/tclug-list/2004-May/066013.html

Actually I was even asked to make a FAQ entry on fedorazine.com... The
laptop-mode script among other tuning extends the journal sync time, so
it syncs every 10min instead of (IIRC) every 5 seconds. The default 5
seconds never lets the disk spin down, which is why journaling FS hasn't
been recommended in the past.

I find journaling filesystems are rather nice for when your battery
dies... With laptop mode in place, selection of a filesystem shouldn't
be any different from a desktop. Pick whichever you like...