On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 11:13:47 -0500
"Johnny Fulcrum" <johnnyfulcrum at mn.rr.com> wrote:

> anybody have a super cool formula for figuring out the specs a linux
> box  should have for certain jobs?
>
> The recent "pop3 server recommendations thread" got me to thinking -
> if I  were to build a box that would be a email server for a group
> of 20 folks -  I probably would not drop by Walmart on my way into
> work and pick up a  $200 special...
>
> I may be helping out a buddy by bringing more Linuxy stuff into his
>
> consulting gig.... so I need information to crossover/translate from
> the  end user desktop linux system (my simple hacked up boxes) to
> the  server  class or "this stuff's important" linux system.

Most basic serving needs do not require a whole lot of horsepower, with the exception of perhaps a hard hit Java Application Server or Oracle database.  An email server for 20 users with POP/IMAP/SMTP and webmail could easilly be a Pentium III or even a PII.  If this is the only function of the box, save even more cycles but not installing X or a Window Manager and use ssh to remote manage or log into a console.  The real high-end machines, PIV/Xeon 3.0 Ghz+ are more for gaming/graphics and real heavy load servers (100's to 1000's of users).  Would I take a PIV over a PIII?  Heck yeah, but there's no need to go out and buy anything new, keep an eye out on the TCLUG classifieds, I think someone had a nice PIII for $80 that probably has Debian/Slackware email server written all over it.  :)

I've run MySQL, POP/IMAP/SMTP, Apache on a PIII 450 for 2 dozen users for a couple years now, never heard any complaints about speed.  This system used to be able to even play a DVD while running (though I don't do that anymore).  Email/httpd servers essentially serve up and store files, mostly textual in nature except for attachments/images so it's not a huge load unless you get into real heavy Spam/Virus filtering.

I don't have a specific formula to go by, maybe some of the more seasoned folks will chime in.

Anyway, that's my thought on it.  YMMV.

Josh