On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, David Phillips wrote:
> Actually no, because a smart load balancer like Zeus Load Balancer will
> (attempt to) send a specific client to the same backend machine
> everytime.  This is necessary anyway for SSL.  Otherwise, you would need
> to negotiate the SSL session each time, or have a shared SSL session
> cache.

But what if most of your clients appear to come from the same IP address?
IE, you're running a ASP, and just have a few large customers who access
it, each from a single IP because of their NAT gateway/proxy.

Anyone know if any of the major web servers support a shared SSL session
cache? Be an interesting tidbit to know. When I've set this up in the past
(using LVS), I have always used persistence to keep it on the same server,
since it hasn't been for the case I mentioned above.

> What you can't do is send a request to different machines based on the
> request URI or other info.  For example, you might send requests for ASP
> pages to Windows machines running IIS, and requests for images and
> anything else to UNIX machines running Zeus.

Eww, L7 switching.  :)