On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, gregwm wrote:
> my need is to do installs remotely.  i fully intend to attend to them,
> presumably using vnc, but the machine itself may be far away.  with just
> a knoppix cd i can get vnc control, partition, and download whatever i
> want.  but then to install, i'll need a cooperative installer..

debootstrap (see my other post) will let you do that fairly easily - it'll
build a system onto the local disk.

Here's directions on how to use debootstrap from Knoppix:

http://www.inittab.de/manuals/debootstrap.html

Note that you may want to use sarge instead of woody.

I believe Gentoo can also be installed in a similar way; any Gentoo
zealots want to speak up with instructions?