On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Chad Walstrom wrote:
> The new debian-installer is working well for attended installations, but
> for unattended installations, you'll need to use FAI (Fully Automated
> Install) or autoinstall.  Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

<...>

> Scott Dier uses autoinstall to maintain the Debian boxes at the CS
> Department at the U and swears by it.  I'm sure he can give you examples
> of its strengths and weaknesses as well.

Another way to do remote installations of Debian is to use debootstrap to
create a base system, copy it over, and chroot to finish the configuration
(/etc/fstab, grub, etc). I used this method to install Debian on a
friend's colo system provided by 1and1 - they have a recovery console that
you can reboot the box into (via their administrative web interface), and
then fdisk and repartition the drive. I just couldn't stand RH9.  :)