On Tue, 2004-07-27 at 23:36, Chad Walstrom wrote:
> The new debian-installer is working well for attended installations, but
> for unattended installations, you'll need to use FAI (Fully Automated
> Install) or autoinstall.  Both have their strengths and weaknesses.
>
> I've used FAI to maintain 80+ Debian machines at the Institute of
> Mathematics and its Applications, on hardware approaching 6 years old.
> It was very stable, very flexible, and sometimes very frustrating.
>
> Scott Dier uses autoinstall to maintain the Debian boxes at the CS
> Department at the U and swears by it.  I'm sure he can give you examples
> of its strengths and weaknesses as well.
>
> Take a look at the package descriptions for each on
> http://packages.debian.org.
>
> Perhaps we should have a theme TCLUG meeting around the idea of
> unattended installations.

my need is to do installs remotely.  i fully intend to attend to them,
presumably using vnc, but the machine itself may be far away.  with just
a knoppix cd i can get vnc control, partition, and download whatever i
want.  but then to install, i'll need a cooperative installer..

-g
--
gregory whitley mott
it coordinator