On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> - they often screw up the console when switching out of X. If you ever
>   leave X (either shutting it down nicely, or ctrl+alt+f1); it might put
>   gibberish on the text console, and you might not be able to resume a sane X
>   session. IMHO, this is unforgiveable.

I haven't had that happen for quite a long time - if the server crashes,
on the other hand, it often does screw up your console. I've been using
NVidia cards in my office machine, one of my home machines, and my laptop
for ages now without any serious complaints. (Although I'd still prefer
open source drivers, of course!)

> ATIs will do this as well; in some cases they support 3D accel on both
> heads (using 'mergedfb'); and there's some hope of getting a decent X
> driver for ATI hardware in the future, so you're not stuck with the
> hassles of binary-only drivers.

Be sure you check and make sure the ATI card you get is supported by the
free drivers; apparently, many of the newer ones aren't yet. I wouldn't be
surprised if ATI's binary drivers sucked just as much as NVidia's.

> but maybe I'm just too damn picky about my video hardware. :)

Well, we all know that! :)