----- Original Message -----
From: "Raymond Norton" <admin at lctn.org>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 14:39:17 -0500
To: <tclug-list at mn-linux.org>
Subject: [TCLUG] migration

> We had been happily running a Samba box as a PDC for the last year or so at
> a school district I service. The decision has been made to move to a Windows
> 2003 Terminal Server solution, and it must be running in the next three
> weeks. I originally was hoping I could some how leave our samba PDC in tact
> and add the four new windows 2003 servers to it, but I am not getting the
> answers I need on this, and from what I can tell it would be hard to beat
> the Windows 2003 Enterprise edition for running the new Terminal server
> farm. That being the case, I need to find a way to export all current samba
> user names, folders, etc... from the Linux box, and bring it back into the
> windows box, and associate usernames with matching home directories.

Can't you set up an NT machine as a bdc, then promote it, then install your win 2003 servers and join them to the nt domain.

As far as the data migration there are some utilities that can copy from a smb drive to another smb drive while keeping the permissions.  I think a product (shareware) called second copy can do it, otherwise I know IDEM will
http://peccatte.karefil.com/Software/Idem/idemhelpeng.htm