I am having a problem with my boot into gnome in RH9. It appears that
something has changed or damaged my font - fontpath element unix/:7100 or
changed my default to cyrillic (russian?)
I have not been able to figure out what or where the changed or damaged file
is. I have been looking at the dates and lines within the files for clues. I
have checked out most of the 'fonts' files scattered across the system. I
looked in to the x86free web site and got some clues, but no smoking gun.

In the XFree86.0.log it says    Can't init font path unix/:7100, removing
from list!
                                              Fatal server error:
                                              could not open default font
'fixed'

In messages -  localhost xfs: xfs startup succeeded
a few lines down - localhost xfs: ignoring font path element
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic (unreadable)
                    - localhost rhnsd: rhnsd startup succeeded
                      localhost modprobe: modprobe: can't locate module
char-major-10-134
                      localhost gdm[3031]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal
X error - Restarting :0

                        and over and over again - it gets into a loop where
there is a login for text and about 2 seconds till the next try - about
enough time to enter 5 keystrokes. The cntrl-alt-backspace does not do
anything. I have logged in this way, but there is such a short time to do
anything before the retry that I have gone to the single user mode.

boot.log shows no errors
XF86Config has not had a change according to date since 2/17.
On the boot load with the grub menu, I can get in via the cntrl-x and
enter - linux single, I can't get just a text login.
Any ideas out there? If you need more info I can get it. I didn't want to
clog things up with all the logs, etc.
Keep looking up,
Tim