On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:22:02 -0500, Josh Close <narshe at gmail.com> wrote:
> If the parent catches an error and I have the program exit, will all
> the children exit also?

Not automatically, no.

> Or will they be waiting to pipe, in which case I should kill all the children?

A write to a pipe that has had the reading end closed will cause the
writing process to receive SIGPIPE.  The default action for that
signal is to terminate the process.

This stuff is in the man pages, but not explained as well as it could
be.  The Linux man pages are often lacking.  Whenever you want to know
more about a syscall or libc function, check the BSD and/or POSIX man
pages.  In general, I find the BSD man pages to be more informative,
while the POSIX man pages are pedantic.

If you serious about programming for UNIX, then get this book, which
has been described as the canon:

David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/