I have been assigned the task of setting up a linux samba server at work
to replace a windows box that was plagued with viruses.  It seems to be
working alright, but if a user is inactive for about 10 minutes it seems
like their connection times out and it takes about 15 seconds for the next
action that they take.  It doesn't really bother me, but some of the
people who will be using this will be less than forgiving for something
like that.
The only thing I could find on google was something about a "dead time"
option, and setting that to a high number didn't help at all (yes, i
restarted samba services after making the change)
The server is running samba 3 and a 2.6.6 kernel under debian testing.
I was going to run stable, but samba 3 and 2.6 kernels are unavailable
under stable, and I had other issues that were resolved by the upgrade to
each of those.
I'm not sure, but the issue may be related to wins.  I've never had issues
like this before, and the only differences I can think of are that this is
a much larger network than I've had a samba server on before, and I've
never had a wins server.  This server is not the wins server.  It is using
2 other wins servers already on the network.
I am not THE MIS guy here, so I can't make any changes to the network as a
whole, and it is unlikely that any suggestions I pass along will be taken
seriously.
Also, this issue seems to be affecting only samba, as I have had an active
ssh connection to the box this whole time.
Am I leaving anything out?
TIA

--
Justin Kremer <kremer at ringworld.org>