Tom Penney writes:
> The way I understand it I
> can not set up PTR records for a small block of ip's like that. Am I
> right? One can only be authoritative for a whole class c block of 256
> ip's,(/24) because of the way the .in-addr.arpa. domains are named.
> (123.123.123.in-addr.arpa.)

Wrong.  Your ISP can delegate each reverse name to you individually, i.e.
4.3.2.1.in-addr.arpa.

> If I am correct shouldn't the provider automatically have ptr records
> set up for every small block of ip's they assign?

They should, but they often don't.

> so my question to you folks who are not on crack is: Can I set up
> reverse lookup on a small block of ip's or does this have to be done
> by the ISP?

Yes, you can set it up, but not without the cooperation of your ISP, as they
must delegate the names to you.

If they provide a web interface to change the PTR records yourself, then you
might find it easiest to simply stick with that.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/