superbeast wrote:
> I have noticed that certain software packages have different rpm's for
> the different distributions, and I was wondering why. If the core of the
> OS is the same version, why the need to create separate rpm's for SuSE,
> RedHat, Fedora, etc.?

Different distros use different versions of system libraries and
compilers (eg, glibc, gcc, etc...) to build the packages.  Each vendor
produces packages that work with their OS setup.  Those RPM's may/may
not work on another distro.  If you find a package in another distro
that is not available from your OS vendor, you can grab the SRPM (source
RPM) and compile it from source.  man rpm(1) and read the section on
building RPMS (rpm -ba).
--
scot