On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 09:13:45 -0500
superbeast <superbeast at evilcricket.com> wrote:

> Hello-

Hi.

> I have noticed that certain software packages have different rpm's
> for the different distributions, and I was wondering why. If the
> core of the OS is the same version, why the need to create separate
> rpm's for SuSE, RedHat, Fedora, etc.?

I no longer use any RPM based distros so maybe someone else with more RPM fung-fu can speak more to this but my guess is that each distro tends to do things different enough as far as where files are stored, how init scripts work, how to hook things into their "style" that it requires maintaining seperate RPM's.

Personally, anything that I care to have some reasonable and sane amount of control over (e.g. an MTA, database, web server) I just install the required libraries using the distro's packaging system (deb, rpm, mdk, whatever) and build it from source.

Josh