Quoting Erik Anderson <erikerik at gmail.com>:

> I have several domains that the PHB's at work would like me to
> register.  The catch is that several of them are currently being
> squatted on.  Is there anything I can do to reclaim these domains from
> the squatters, or do I have to just bite the bullet and pay them the
> ~$700 they're asking per domain?

The answer, as always, is it depends. IIRC, The World Intellectual Property
Organization  (WIPO) arbitrates disputes over these matters. If they are
squatting on a domain that you have trademarked, copy righted or some such, the
WIPO could decide to turn the domain over to you. I don't know just how painful
that process is however, might be a lot less painful to cough up the 700
bucks.

If, however, you just happen to want a domain name that they have, and have no
particular "rights" to it, you're probably hosed. My company recently desired a
domain that was registered by a "broker", and ended up paying $1000 for it,
much to my dismay.

Additionally, while there has been a lot of history of intellectual property
owners being victorious over individuals registering protest domains, i.e.
fordsucks.com, I recall reading recently about a case where someone who has
registered a domain with some IP protected term in it, but was using that site
as a protest site, was allowed to keep the domina under a ruling that the
domain was protected as free speech.

Long story short, I think it's going to be $700. Also, decide right now if there
are any related domains that you want, i.e. variations on the name and so
forth. I guarantee that as soon as you register a domain, variants of that
domain will be squatted on.

Josh