Hey everyone,

I've having a heck of a time getting connected to MySQL on my Debian
(testing) server. I don't have a lot of experience with MySQL, so I'm
guessing that I'm missing something obvious. I enabled the networking and
netstat says that it's running:

beethoven:/home/wilson# netstat -tnlp
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:3306            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
32322/mysqld

I tried creating the mysql root password like so:

beethoven:/home/wilson# mysqladmin -u root password 'hardtoguess'
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user: 'root at localhost' (Using password: YES)'

This doesn't seem to work. Neither can I simply connect to the MySQL console
via:

beethoven:/home/wilson# mysql -u root -p
Enter password:
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root at localhost' (Using password: YES)

I also ran:

beethoven:/home/wilson# /usr/bin/mysql_install_db --user=mysql

So what am I missing? I set up MySQL on a gentoo box recently, and I don't
recall any problems.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson