The biggest tip would be use "gvim"  (vim with the gui pops up it's own
window and in the background unless the "-f" option is used).  Another
is to view diffs use "gvimdiff f1 f2" or if not gui compiled use
"vimdiff f1 f2".   The default for the "*vimdiff" is that folding is
on.   Also the "*vimdiff" will do a 3 file diff as well via "gvimdiff f1
f2 f3".