Something that may help. I get errors like this when I boot the machine up:

grep: /proc/net/dev : no such file or directory (maybe about 8 times)
and then it ends with a grep: /proc/net/route : no such file or directory .

I have yet to try what you suggested, though, nate. The grep is coming
from the rc inet script, so I believe this is what is causing most of
the trouble. I'm missing most of my /proc/net/* files (it only has the
file "tun")

I'm going to try recompiling agian and seeing if enabling netlink (this
has been suggested to fix it on a list I found googling...). Also, I
looked in the inetd, and there wasn't any tcp6's so I don't know about that.

Thanks everyone,
Todd Mueller