Kraig Jones wrote:
> Most everything else about setting up Debian has been fairly
> straightforward, or the set-up recognises the hardware and gets the
> configuration right.  I wonder if I've missed something, that would help
> get the sound working?

I happen to use ALSA (instead of OSS which is what you have by default)
and recently the sound 'went away'.

After a fair amount of trial and error it seemed that installing the
gstreamer0.8 family of packages helped (as I am running Gnome).

For Gnome you want to enable ESD via Applications | Desktop Preferences | Sound
check "Enable Sound Server Startup".  (exit and restart Gnome).  Of
course you will need the version of libesd that corresponds to your sound
system (OSS or ALSA).

Be sure to check the mixer volume settings with gnome-volume-control or alsamixergui.

You can debug sound by using 'play' (or 'aplay') on the sound files in /usr/share/sounds/

HTH,

--Tom