So I searched on Google for the error and found some stuff on "Address
family not supported by protocol" errors

Most of them windows based ;-)

****
What I found was a Sun error "Address family not supported by protocol"
in the inetd.conf
This pointed to tcp6 when it should have been tcp

           Both set services in inetd.conf to ipv6 which wu-ftpd doesn't
            support yet. Fix: change the protocol from tcp6 to tcp.

****
I also found this
    http://www.netsys.com/bsdi-users/2000-04/msg00172.html

****
and
    http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0111.3/0997.html

*********
So I don't think it's anything you have done when installing. I think
it's just the "old hardware new OS" thats
giving you troubles.

Sam.