On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 12:04:57PM -0500, Josh Trutwin wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 11:39:12 -0500
> Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome at real-time.com> wrote:

> > exactly what options did you use to do that?
>
> To get it to not add spaces?
>
> Turned off autoindent.  I don't know if this is so much a
> Debian issue or a vim mixed with my ssh client issue?

Its a vim mixed with any X terminal issue. When you paste into a
terminal vim has no way of knowing whether you typed in those
characters or they were pasted in.  So it treats them as typed,
and it will auto indent if autoindent is on.

You can fix this by turning autoindent off (set noai) or setting
paste mod, as others have said. Turning autoindent off completely
is overkill for me, but it might make sense if you don't do much
code. Though I do have it off for use with mutt, where I seldom
want indentation anyway.