On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 23:34:08 -0500, extrinsik <extrinsik at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Today windows 95 failed horribly for my mother while i tried to install
> a NIC so we could lan up. It told me to "run setup to reconfigure it",
> but my serial is long gone for windows 95. So, I am gladly installing
> linux on it for my mother.

You would've let a win95 box in your family? I'm ashamed to call you a
TCLUG member! I'm kidding, of course. I've still got two or three
aunts using win98, and I haven't gotten any of them to use Linux yet,
sadly. So I commend you for going this road. Make sure you let us know
how it goes.

> So, I thought it was the lowmem.i kernel. So what I did was copy the
> bare.i kernel files to the /boot directory (naming them accordingly;
> config-ide-2.4.22, vmlinuz-ide-2.4.22, etc). This didn't work either.
> Then, I thought it was to do with some of the base packages or network
> packages. So, I installed all the recommended packages in the base and
> net sections.

I'm not a RH user, so I'm probably not knowledgable about RH to
support you here, but it sounds like your inkling with networking
stuff is down the right path. I would go through the setup looking for
the drivers for your card, and make sure you've got networking support
(stuff like TCP/IP) built in. I think this is what Adam Maloney was
getting at.

> Well, it still gives me the error. I will recompile, but that will be
> the last resort (recompiling on a 166mhz, ehg, that'd take forever!... I
> could probably do it overnight I sopose). Also another thing about
> recompiling is I have a limited amount of space I'm working with (2gbs),
> and I left out most of the software developement packages.

You can go to any linux box, copy the source off the install CDs,
configure it and cross-compile. Basically all you're doing is the
heavy lifting on a bigger box, but telling it to compile for a Cyrix
(Pentuim or 586 is probably what you will need.)