Hello everyone,

Today windows 95 failed horribly for my mother while i tried to install
a NIC so we could lan up. It told me to "run setup to reconfigure it",
but my serial is long gone for windows 95. So, I am gladly installing
linux on it for my mother.

I had my Slackware 9.1 cds, so I put them and started to install. I did
it in expert mode, so I could make it a bit smaller. I selected the
lowmem.i kernel, just to make sure it ran a bit faster. Oh yeah, maybe I
should tell the specs of the machine

166mhz cyrix (yes; that isn't a typo. A cyrix)
16mbs of ram
2 gig hd (ide)

Anyways, I booted in to start X, and I get a "Address family not
supported by protocol" somewhere in the mess of not being able to
setting its services up. This is like this for pretty much any
application that wants to set up on a local port.

So, I thought it was the lowmem.i kernel. So what I did was copy the
bare.i kernel files to the /boot directory (naming them accordingly;
config-ide-2.4.22, vmlinuz-ide-2.4.22, etc). This didn't work either.
Then, I thought it was to do with some of the base packages or network
packages. So, I installed all the recommended packages in the base and
net sections.

Well, it still gives me the error. I will recompile, but that will be
the last resort (recompiling on a 166mhz, ehg, that'd take forever!... I
could probably do it overnight I sopose). Also another thing about
recompiling is I have a limited amount of space I'm working with (2gbs),
and I left out most of the software developement packages.

Anyone have simular experiences? Thanks for any help,

Todd Mueller