Went through my notes and found what I did.  Basically this compiles around
the gcc and gettext combination and is somewhat similar to what the
boostrap.sh script does.

USE="-java build bootstrap" emerge baselayout binutils glibc gcc ncurses zlib

(took about 1hr and 10 minutes on this Athlon XP 1700+ w/256MB of RAM and dual
80GB SATA hard drives)

emerge gcc

(to recompile gcc to include java support)

USE="-berkdb" emerge perl

(fix perl without recompiling half the system)

emerge binutils ncurses zlib perl

(recompile with final glibc optimizations)

The last one may not be necessary.  I do it because I use some special CFLAG
optimizations for my Athlon XP boxes that can sometimes change the entry
points in glibc.

Ben Maas - Technology Architect
Open Technology Systems, LLC
eMail: bmaas at open-techsys.com