Wow!
I decided to down load the Gentoo ISO's and build from the 2 CD's.
I'm getting (remember I have basic DSL) 26.0Kbs down load form Seren
Innovations.
Seren is in Minneapolis it's a spin off of NSP.  The connection is rock
solid at 26.0 Kbs

Hardware
A friend of mine wants a gaming machine (M$) the price point is about
$600 and he wants it to
come from a local provider.  Video is an ATI 9800 with 256MB of DDR.
This is a list of the hardware I'm looking at for him, any comments or
advice on the hardware?

I looked at both General Nano Systems and Tranmicro as the places to
purchase the parts.
General Nano has much better prices then Tranmicro.

Processor
    AMD Athalon XP ?
    2.xghz 333mhz-FSB 512K Cache
Motherboard