I've got a side project working on Perl/DBI -> MS SQL.  No luck yet, but
I'm very close.  I haven't touched it in a few weeks, so this is from
memory...

I know nothing about MS SQL, but my current roadblock seems to be that I
need to give the driver a hostname/IP to connect to, and the SQL guys
won't give me one because "it's a cluster".  Well whoop-de-doo, Captain
Kangaroo - but something, somewhere needs to have an IP so I can talk to
it.  Grrr...kill...  But everything seemed to compile okay.

Check out FreeTDS and libIODBC, that should get you going in the right
direction   For my Perl stuff I needed DBI, DBD::ODBC, and some other
junk to make the MS SQL driver happy.  There's so many layers of
abstraction here - Perl needs DBI which needs DBD which needs ODBC which
needs an MS SQL driver, which needs some more glue.  I'm about to start
sniffing all this glue to ease the pain!  Gah!