Ben Bargabus wrote:

>My spam levels are getting ridiculous again even with spam-assassin up
>and running.  I'm thinking I want to basically do an entirely white-list
>approach with some sort of system for people to get on my white list.
>For example, a non-white list member sends me an email, the mail gets
>logged and a reply is sent automatically explaining that my spam filter
>has flagged them as possible spam and they should send me an email with
>an id number (unique to them) indicating that they are not a spam-bot.
>If they respond their original message gets through and they are added
>to my white list, if they don't respond within a given time limit the
>logged mail is sent to /dev/null.  Anyway, this seems like such a
>sensible approach that someone must have something similar out there so
>I don't have to write it myself.  Anybody know of a program like this?

Challenge-response filters:

Confirm

>Anyone have a better suggestion?

Here is a list of Bayesian filters that can reduce the SPAM flow to a
mere trickle (ifile works well for me; it can file e-mail into many
folders, not just SPAM and non-SPAM.  I've heard that bogofilter is
excellent and the creator of ifile uses it himself for its SPAM
filtering effectiveness.):

Annoyance Filter
AntiSpam Mail Filter
Bayesian Mail Filter
Bayesian Probability Filtering Library
bayespam (qmail)
bogofilter
CRM114
dbacl
DSPAM
ifile
Naiban (Java Avalon/Keel)
PASP (Python Anti-Spam Proxy)
Poesia (Public Os Env...)
POPFile (POP3 Web)
Quick Spam Filter
Spam Blocker
SpamGAME
SpamBayes
SpamProbe

Other SPAM filters (In my opinion these are not effective unless they
include bayesian filter functionality):

Internet peer filters:

Anti-Spam Network
Pyzor