Johnny Fulcrum wrote:

>No it is not.  One pass does not fully erase the data - some would argue
>that you need to physically destroy the disk before all data is "gone".

I've heard that forensic data recovery can restore data as far as seven
rewrite generations.  It is extremely expensive, but sometimes its worth
it.  So, maybe 10 "random number" passes would be enough to completely
scramble the original data.  Just to be safe, maybe 20 passes to stay
ahead of the forensic data recovery technology curve. :)

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>