Technically it's possible for "residual magnetism" of the original data to make it become visible again.  When a data pattern is
stored a long time, neighboring particles "pile on" to reinforce the signal, whether a one or a zero, so the "old signal" is
actually stronger than a new one.  After many recordings, each scrambled in a different way, that residual pattern fades.  These
effects differ with minor changes in media, head, and recording signal technology.

While this stuff is true and verifiable in a lab, only the paranoid and NSA types might care or be able to find these residual
signals.  So.. there's a reason for repeats, and the software utility people can't anticipate what a specific drive really needs so
it's usually "sufficient overkill".

Chuck