From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of Josh Trutwin
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 1:16 PM
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: [TCLUG] [OT] Laptop LCD Problems

I have a laptop that is running Linux but I d not think this is a linux
problem.  Yesterday I powered off my old Gateway 5150 and today when I
powered it back on, the LCD screen is EXTREMEMELY dark, almost
completely black, but if you look very closely you can barely see the
boot messages and the GDM login prompt when it comes up and I can SSH
in.  If I plug it into a monitor it looks fine too.  No matter what I
try I cannot get the brightness back to an even readable level.  This
occurs right from the BIOS messages so it has to be a hardware issue.

Anyone have any suggestions?  (Yes, I tried the brightness function
keys)

Anyone know of a good repair shop otherwise?  I don't want to junk this
thing as I spent so much time getting it just the way I like it.

Thx,

Josh