Your backlight went out. An LCD has a lightbulb behind the screen (on
many laptops, you can see the light itself if you look from the side,
just between the bezel and screen. This is almost always covered by
warranty, but a 5150 is way too old to be covered. You might be able to
get a scrapped one with a functional screen off eBay. Otherwise, Gateway
will probably still repair it, but they'll probably charge in the
neighborhood of $300. Check with them before you lose all hope, though.
Perhaps there are generic LCD backlights you can buy and install, too. I
have no real idea about that.

Sorry I don't have better news for you.

John