On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> Is support for firewire external disks doing okay?  Was it okay around
> kernel 2.4.18?  Does one have to be careful about firewire cards and/or
> disks/enclosures, and if so what are the okay ones?  I'm looking at an
> external hard drive as a possible backup solution for a linux server.
> Oh, and does it handle hot plugging okay?  Firewire hardware does, but
> does the software, or does it get confused? (Because this is a backup
> solution, I'm looking for cheap rather than super-fast-server-grade
> controller cards.)

Works great on a drive I've got; worked with 2.4.18 IIRC. I've had a
couple problems hotplugging (basically, sometimes the drives don't get
detected, and you have to unplug/unload modules/replug); but nothing too
major.

> (I'm assuming firewire will outperform USB 2 for this application, but
> it might not if the Linux support were bad enough; if I really should be
> looking at USB 2 instead, then same question about USB 2 controller
> cards.  This old system is PCI bus but doesn't support such modern
> things as USB or firewire on the motherboard.)

USB2 should also be fine; the enclosure I've got does both. In my
experience, it handles hotplugging a little better.