I would have to second the Asus - I bought an A7N8X Deluxe (which includes Dual 10/100 LAN instead of whatever the X has- check, one may be better for you than the other) I bought from newegg.com about 6 months ago for $125 - the nForce2 chipset works under Linux fully, binary drivers only but oh well.  I picked up a ATI 9600XT last week from Circut City for $150 after rebates - if not that then a 9600PRO should do just fine for quite some time, unless you want cheaper, then I'd get a GeForce 4 or 5200 - had a GeForce 4 Ti4200 128MB in the ASus (selling to move to smaller case) and a 5200FX in my brother's eMachine, no problems with either one.  Best way to determine if the board works with Linux is to simply google for the chipsets.  Usually if there's drivers for the chipsets, that specific motherboard will work just fine.

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Stanley <barnabas at knicknack.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 19:41:08 -0600
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] Recommendations for a mobo

I've been quite happy with the couple Asus A7V8X-X mobos I've purchased
recently.  It has onboard network and sound. The only drawback is that they
work best with ALSA sound drivers (instead of OSS).  This particular version
is for AMD processors, but I would guess they'd have an Intel version.

I also got an off-brand (EVGA) nvidia GeForce4 MX440 based video card.  It
works quite well as long as you can put up with the binary only drivers.

I got mine at newegg.com.  I was impressed with their shipping speed.