On Jan 19, 2004, at 9:18 PM, B_o_B wrote:

> Monday, January 19, 2004   @   9:16:09 PM Central Standard Time
>
> B> The first thing I'd do is run a 'netstat -anp |grep LISTEN' on the
> box in
> B> question.  If these ports don't show up in netstat, but they do in
> nmap,
> B> you probably have a trojaned copy of netstat, a good indication that
> B> unwelcomed things are living on your box.
>
> B> If they do show up, you'll be able to see which processes are
> opening
> B> these ports.  Usually this jogs memories and you'll remember that
> weird
> B> thing you installed because package A depends on it.
>
> B> Good luck!
>
> B> -Brian
>
> Hello, and a good day to all.  Many Thanks to those who responded to
> me.
> I did some more checking, and came up with more weird info.
>
> I was able to track down the mystery port 690.  This was for some 3rd
> party bs I tried to install to be used with the webmail server.  I
> never got it to work, so I took it out of their.  Port 690 lives no
> longer.
>
> I still have a couple mysteries though:
>
> First I ran nmap from a machine at my house on the 2 boxes in question
> at work, and came up with this:
> box 1 in question:
> showed correct ports + mystery port 1720
> box 2 in question:
> showed correct ports + mystery port 1720

the BIND control channel (for rndc) often runs on port 953.  the
interfaces that it's available on are specified in your configuration.

port 1720 is often used for h.323, if you have some gateway which is
capable of doing the appropriate fixups for h.323 messages through NAT,
etc. you might want to check on this. especially in light of the
recently disclosed h.323 vulnerabilities.

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC