could also be a firewall timing things out in between client/server.
I have this problem with a Netgear wireless router that drops NAT'd
connections after 6 hrs, even though they are active established
connections.  Debian has a "ProtocolKeepAlives" option (man ssh_config)
which should help this although it hasn't worked so far with my Netgear.

--
scot