On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:54:24 -0600
gkrueger <gkrueger at cleosci.com> wrote:

> Hey All -- Happy Friday!
>
> Say, I have an odd one... I just built a new machine with an Nvidia
> GeForce 5200 card.  I downloaded the LINUX driver for it, but here's
> the deal:  if I install RH8, I can fire up X (Gnome, KDE, anything)
> just fine; however, if I install RH9, X won't start.  It won't even
> install in graphics mode under RH9 (I even tried limiting resolution
> when installing -- you know "linux lowres" "linux
> resolution=640x480").
>
> I wasn't aware there were such video changes between RH8 and RH9.
> Does anyone know of this and have any advice or fixes for me?

Only thing that I can think of are changes within the kernel and
libraries.

Although, I'm not quite sure on how you can install the driver for the
system without an OS being on there.  If you only pass the boot
options from the CD on install, what happens?  Do you get the X
install?  Also, if you load the entire OS from CD and not install the
driver, can you get X to work?

--
Shawn

 "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear -- not absence of
fear."
	-Mark Twain

  Ne Obliviscaris --  "Forget Not"