Jeff Nelson wrote:

> 1. I am not tied to a particular distribution and am willing to try
> another. Recommendations accepted.

Well OK - I'll offer a recommendation!  I just finished instaling linux
on my laptop - a Dell Inspiron 8500.  I went through Redhat, Mandrake,
and Debian with no success.  Most of my problems were caused by the
broadcom bcm4400 NIC - I'm assumming that this is the same chipset that
your HP uses.

On a whim, one afternoon, I decided to try Gentoo.  Lo and behold,
*everything* worked.  Everything.  I was so impressed by their distro
that I'm starting to migrate several other boxes to gentoo.

One thing to keep in mind is that Gentoo is not an *quick* distro to
install by any stretch of the imagination.  This is mainly because it is
designed to download and compile itself from source.  Gentoo does,
however, provide excellent documentation on their website (
www.gentoo.org ).

I'd be glad to help out if you have any questions.

-Erik