Munir Nassar wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Johnny Fulcrum wrote:
>

>>I think you can boot to a command prompt directly by entering "linux
>>single" at the grub prompt (if you're using grub)
>

> this is single user mode and redhats config tools may not work. they
> require an X server and if i am not mistaken X requires multiuser mode

You can always launch an X-Server regardless of 'mode'.  If you remember
to also launch an X-Terminal you can do anything graphical you want.

At the command line, do something like...

(X&) ; sleep 10 ; DISPLAY=:0.0 xterm

the command varies with the shell.  (I won't say which shell the above
is for, 'cause if I have a syntax error I'll make the claim it was
for a different shell...).

[ctrl][alt][backspace] to gracefully exit, or the ever popular

killall -9 X

will also work nicely...

Kent