>> Perry Hoekstra wrote:

>> > I am running Fedora Core 1 and I seem to be losing a directory.  I
>> > created a /mnt/zip directory and add the mount point to fstab.  If I
>> > shutdown the server and bring it back up, they are gone.  Now, rather
>> > than logging into root, I su to it.  Would that make a difference?

There is no significant difference between logging into root, and doing
su from a user account.  The difference is very unlikely to cause what
(I think) you are describing.

Perry Hoekstra wrote:

>/dev/cdrom  /mnt/cdrom  udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
>/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
>/dev/fd0    /mnt/floppy auto        noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

When a Red Hat system boots up, a program called kudzu, looks for
certain devices and adds the appropriate lines into /etc/fstab.
kudzu adds the option kudzu in the lines it adds, so it can later
identify the them and remove them it the corresponding device is
not detected by kudzu.  Remove the option kudzu from the /mnt/zip
mount point line in /etc/fstab and kudzu should ignore it (not remove
it).  It also creates and removes device links in /dev.  It usually has
a 30 second time out during boot when it asks what it should do about
added and removed hardware, but probably can be set to automatically add
and remove device information rather than ignore device additions and
removals.  It also updates the /etc/sysconfig/hwconf file.  Maybe kudzu
is also cleaning out the /mnt directory, i.e. removing /mnt/zip when the
zip drive or volume is missing?

Check out the kudzu man page and especially the kudzu package
documentation file, /usr/share/doc/kudzu*/README, for further
information.

I usually make a backup copy of my /etc/fstab in case kudzu decides to
modify it.  It doesn't really damage anything, but changes the time
stamp of /etc/fstab and confuses one about when /etc/fstab was last
changed by a human.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>