Partition Magic is a great tool I've used it for re-sizing but not for
fixing a lost setup partition.  Remember to keep a minimum of 10% free
disk space on each partition. You loose some performance in file writes,
it isn't a small loss of performance either.  Read suffers a little but
the file write becomes a pain.
Linux uses a partition for swap space a fixed place for memory paging.
Linux checks for lost links and such upon startup.  I think "fschk" is
the program
Windows uses a file for swap/page so on a windows machine it's really
important that "at least" 10% of disk is free.  On a Windows machine you
should run scandisk once per week and defrag once per month.