On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Johnny Fulcrum wrote:
> Has anyone used UML, NISTNET or products like Candela's LANForge to
> simulate networks (congestion, latency etc etc)?  Just looking for
> recommendations or a few good canidates to follow up on.

 Yep.  I just started tinkering with UML in the last week or so.  It's
pretty nice.  I'd definitely recommend applying the SKAS patch, if you're
going to seriously use it (huge performance improvement).
 Another option that I started playing with today is honeyd[1].  It can
simulate a network, with latency, packet loss, and whatnot.  You can also
include "real" hosts in the virtual networks.  I'm liking it thus far.  I
think it has more networking features than UML, although the two could
probably be combined one way or another.

     Jima

1. http://www.honeyd.org/