Wow,
I just saved the graphic file as a jpg (3k) and inserted it in to word
the whole word *.doc file went down to 60k.
    I had pasted the graphic from another word document the first time
When I inserted it in to open office as a jpg, the writer *.sxw file is
now 11k

That was just to nasty, it must have been a WMF format when I pasted it
in to word and when I saved as in OO it must have just freaked out on
the WMF format of the image.

Problem solved don't past images, insert them.

OO Writer saves disk space...
Word file is 60k
Writer file is 11k

Sam.