These guys are a local competitor:
http://www.rebyte.com

Here is what their FAQ page says about Mirra:

The Mirra backup system is competitively priced. You can figure a
comparable reByte system is going to cost you about 20% ($100) less
depending on what you want and need. There are some specific drawbacks
to the Mirra system, however.

     * Mirra only works with Windows 2000 and XP networks (no Mac, Linux
or Novell support)
     * Data is stored in a proprietary format. If you want to access
your data remotely, you must install their software
     * Redundancy. Mirra does not provide RAID support. All hard drives
fail eventually.
     * Storage space. Mirra’s largest solution only stores 120 gigs
compared to nearly 1 terabyte (1000 gigabytes) with reByte
     * No offsite synchronization support (like reSync)
     * Mirra isn't upgradeable
     * There is no support for gigabit or wireless networks

The bottom line is Mirra is a low-performance, non-redundant,
non-expandable and proprietary solution. Although it’s inexpensive, you
can build a reByte solution that provides significantly more value for
the same price.

Clay Fandre wrote:
> Anyone know anything more about this?
> http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/01/02/personal.server.ap/index.html
>
> How about we create a Linux distro that duplicates the functionality of
> the Mirra? Shouldn't be too difficult.

Eric (Rick) Meyerhoff