In bash I think you need to set MAIL and MAILCHECK, like:

MAIL=/var/mail/lxy
MAILCHECK=60           (interval, in seconds, to stat the MAIL file)

You can actually point MAIL to anything you want, and be notified when it
changes.  I think the prompt is even configurable in bash.

Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator
Sihope Communications