> Why use ODBC?  The native interface should provide better
> performance and more functionality:
>
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.mssql.php

	Good point. I started down this path, but it requires moving
from php 4.2.2 which redhat supports to php 4.3.3+, and I'm scared of
compiling. I started down that path a couple days ago, and the ODBC
driver route seemed a bit easier. It'd be good to get a proper package
manager anyway, so I think I'll continue along this route. At some point
I may have to go to a newer PHP, but I'd like to avoid it until I really
have to.

Matt