I haven't done any CD burning with Linux, just got one for windows...

USB may be the answer, have you checked the Red Hat hardware list?

http://hardware.redhat.com/hcl/

I found these googling...

http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/cdrecord-support/2002-August/000444.html

On this page is a list of CDR drives (manufacturers really) browse the
list to see if you find an external.
http://www.cdrfaq.org/