Message: 5
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 01:06:36 -0600
From: "K B" <kcbnac at myrealbox.com>
Subject: [TCLUG] New Laptop...what Brand(s) works w/Linux?
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org

I'm looking to purchase a new laptop/notebook computer...Needs to run XP
Pro for college (their requirements)

However, I would also love to run Linux on it - just about any distro
(mainly Mandrake, Fedora, Debian, others welcome as well)

What companies out there either:

A) Sell laptops preconfigured w/Linux (windows too)
           I know they're out there...can't remember the sites though.
B) Sell laptops that work fairly well w/Linux
           I know Dell and IBM both often work with it...what others do?

I'm looking in the $cheap-~$1750 range...any suggestions guys?

Thanks everybody!

**********

I am running an eMachines M1532. Installed Parition Magic, split the
drive to a 10Gb/30Gb/rest (about 17Gb I think?), then installed SuSE 9.0
Pro off the DVD. Haven't tinkered with it much, but it recognized the
1280x800 widescreen by default, that there is/was a firewire present,
USB ports, etc etc etc. Not tried the networking at all (built-in G,
built-in hardwire, nor 802.11b card that DID work in RH on the previous
laptop), nor the modem.

Only 'downside' thus far is the shared video memory pukes on Unreal
Tournament, but that's par for shared memory...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1063670218918&skuId=6046824&type=product
Watch the website, I got it w/ about $250 worth of rebates ($100 laptop,
another $150 for the AMD processor). LOVE IT!!